Maryland Residential Lease Agreement Form
This form allows a Maryland landlord to rent his or her property to someone else. Be sure that whoever you choose as a tenant that a proper credit check has been completed.
Maryland Residential Lease Agreement
THIS LEASE, made this day of 20 , between _______________hereinafter called Landlord, and called Tenant(s): WITNESSETH: That the Landlord leases to the Tenant(s) and the Tenant(s) leases from the Landlord for
a term of months, beginning on the day of 20 , and terminating on the
day of 20 , the premises known as in the City of County of State of for use as a residence dwelling only, together with the following personal property located on such premises: Payable monthly in rental installments of Dollars $
Rent shall be payable monthly in advance on the day of each month without deduction, demand,
or offset at Collegiate Group PO Box 893 College Park, MD 20741 .
or such other place as the Landlord might direct. Landlord /Agent has the right to require rental payment be made by money order, cashierʼs check or certified check. (Especially when personal check is returned) The parties to this lease recognize and agree that all notices from the Landlord /Agent will be mailed to Tenant at the leased property address and that all tenant notices to Landlord/Agent will be mailed to:
Collegiate Group PO Box 893 College Park, MD 20741 .
The parties further agree:
1. ASSIGN, SUBLET AND USE: The Tenant(s) covenants that he will not carry on any business within the leased premises for any other purpose other than that of private single person/family residence, nor permit the same to be used for any disorderly or unlawful purpose, nor sublet the said premises, nor assign this lease without the consent in writing of the Landlord. Pets are NOT permitted on premises without written permission of the Landlord.
2. TENANT(S) COVENANTS TO PAY RENT (Check here if Utilities also). The Tenant(s) covenants with the Landlord to pay rent as aforesaid, without demand therefor, and without an deduction therefrom whatsoever. (If Tenant(s) paying Utilities then he will pay gas and electric bills as they become due and make all required deposits therefor with utility companies, or adjust for oil remaining in tank, if applicable.)
3. OCCUPANCY: It is hereby agreed and understood between the parties of this instrument that tenancy created herein will begin as soon as the landlord can deliver possession of the premises to the Tenant(s) in a habitable condition, or on the date set forth above, whichever occurs first. Tenant pledges to surrender and deliver keys at termination of occupancy to Landlord/ Agent.
4. MATERIAL REPRESENTATION: Tenant(s) agrees that the statements and representations made on his signed rental application are material representations and are incorporated into this agreement by reference, the falsity of which, or any part of them, shall constitute a default here under entitling the Landlord to possession of said premises.
5. SECURITY DEPOSIT: Tenant(s) agrees to deposit with Landlord/Agent the sum of $ receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, to be returned to said tenant(s) at the end of his occupancy, provided the tenant(s) is not default under any provision of this agreement, and subject to any deductions necessary to replace or repair missing or damaged furniture or equipment or to repair damage to property caused by tenant(s), his family, guests, or pets, or by any negligence of the tenant(s), excepting ordinary wear and tear, or adjustment of pro rata share of utilities of any outstanding bills which may be required. Tenant(s) liability for damages, however, is not limited to the amount of security deposit.
6. RETURN OF SECURITY DEPOSIT: Tenant must notify Landlord at least 14 days prior to termination of occupancy, and again with one or two days, to confirm the date and time of termination and full process of vacating premises. Landlord will arrange with tenant(s) a suitable date and time of inspection. Tenant may request a copy of the list citing damages done. Tenant(s) is hereby advised of his rights under Maryland law pertaining to return of security deposits. (Landlord can return deposit 30 days after termination)
7. CONTRAVENTION OF INSURANCE: It is further agreed that the said tenant(s) will not do, suffer or permit anything to be done, in or about the premises which will contravene the policy of insurance against loss by fire or increase the fire insurance rate, or keep gasoline or other combustibles on said premises.
8. MAINTENANCE OF PREMISES: It is further agreed that tenant(s) will keep said premises in good order and condition, keep all portions of the leased premises in clean and sanitary condition and comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances and regulations with respect to said premises, and surrender said premises and all of Landlordʼs furniture and fixtures therein in good,
clean and operating condition at the expiration of the lease, normal wear and damage by storm and public enemies excepted.
9. NOTICE OF DEFECTS: It is further agreed that the tenant(s) within 48 hours of occupancy will give landlord/agent prompt notice in writing of any defects, leaks or breakage in the structure, equipment or fixtures of said premises, including damage by fire, storm and flood, as tenant(s) will be held liable for all damages attributable to such unreported conditions.
10. REASONABLE RIGHT OF ENTRY RESERVED: It is further agreed that tenant(s) will allow landlord, his agents, or his designee to have access to said premises at any reasonable time for the purpose of inspection, or in the event of fire or other property damage, or for the purpose of making any repairs landlord considers necessary or desirable.
11. PERSONAL PROPERTY: Tenant(s) acknowledge that all of tenant(s) personal property or that which belongs to others placed on premises at invitation of or with consent of Tenant(s) shall be at tenant(s) risk.
12. ALTERATIONS: Tenant(s) will not remodel or make and structural changes, alterations or additions to the premises; will not paper, paint or decorate; will not install attach, remove or exchange appliances or equipment, such as but not limited to air conditioning, heating, refrigerating or cooking units, radio or television antennae; will not drive nails or other devices into the walls or woodwork (a reasonable number of picture hangers excepted); will not change the existing locks, or refinish or shellac the wood floors of
the premises, without the prior written permission of the landlord or his agent. It is understood that if said permission is granted, all costs to install or change shall be at tenant(s)ʼs expense, unless otherwise agreed, and that such changes, alterations or additions become the property of the landlord.
13. SMOKE DETECTORS: Tenant(s) acknowledge that smoke detector(s) as required by law are installed on premises and that tenant(s), is/are responsible for replacement of batteries, if needed and for reporting malfunctions to landlord, in writing.
14. RESPONSIBILITY FOR REPAIRS: Any repairs made necessary due to negligence of the Tenant(s), his licensees, his invitees, and his pets, shall be paid for by the tenant(s). The tenant(s) is fully responsible for repairs to all appliances other than those attributable to normal usage.
15. INSURANCE: The tenant(s) agree(s) to maintain Tenant Homeowner Liability Insurance (in an amount not less than ). The tenant(s) shall provide proof of coverage upon request. It is understood that landlord does not carry insurance to cover tenant(s)ʼs chattels, real or personal. Tenant shall acknowledge.
16. RENT OR SALE SIGN: It is further agreed that during the term of the lease Tenant(s) will permit landlord post a “For Rent” or “For Sale” sign and to show said premises at reasonable hours.
17. ACT OF GOD: If the leased premises are destroyed by fire, act of God, act of nature, or public enemies, or accident, the term of the lease shall expire immediately cease upon the payment of rent apportioned to the day of such happening. If, however, the premises are only partially destroyed or damaged and landlord decides to repair same, such repairs shall be made by landlord without unreasonable delay, and this lease shall remain in full force and effect, without any abatement of rent.
18, ACT OF GOVERNMENT: If the leased premises is acquired or condemned by eminent domain for any public or quasi-public use or purpose, either in whole or in part which renders the premises uninhabitable, then the term of this lease shall cease and terminate as of the date of title vesting in such proceedings, and all rentals shall be paid to that date and tenant(s) shall have no claims against owner for the value of unexpired term of the lease.
19. LEGAL PROCEEDINGS: It is further agreed that no waiver of any breach or any covenant, condition or agreement herein contained shall operate as a waiver of the covenant, or agreement itself, or any subsequent breach thereof. If proceedings shall at any time be commenced for recovery of possession of the said premises and compromise or settlement shall be affected either before or after judgment, whereby tenant(s) shall be permitted to retain possession of said premises, then such proceedings shall not constitute a waiver of any condition or agreement contained herein or of any subsequent breach thereof or of this agreement, provided however, that tenant(s) agrees to pay landlord for all attorneyʼs
fees and court costs incurred in connection with these proceedings.
20. TENANT EVICTION FOR OTHER THAN FAILURE TO PAY RENT: It is further understood that in accordance with Maryland law, Tenant(s) may be evicted for breach of any term or condition of this lease including, but not limited to, the non-payment of rent as provided for herein.
21. OCCUPANTS LIMITED: It is understood and agreed that occupancy of the herein demised premises shall be limited to occupants and that any breach of this provision shall be sufficient cause for the landlord to issue to the tenant(s) a thirty day notice to vacate, any other provisions of this agreement notwithstanding.
22. ADDITIONAL RENT: If Tenant(s) monthly installment is not paid as provided above, Landlord shall be due additional rent in the amount of $25.00 . In any event this additional rent shall not exceed 5% of the amount of rent due. Tenant(s) agrees to pay Landlord additional rent of _$25.00_ if tenant(s)ʼs check is returned by bank, or if bank refuses on first demand to pay such rental check.
23. VEHICLE PARKING: No automobile, truck, motorcycle, trailer or other such vehicle shall be parked on the property without current license plates and said vehicle must be in operating condition. Licensed vehicles may be parked only in designated parking spaces, in driveways, or on the street.
24. TENANT(S) SURRENDER OF PREMISES: Tenant agrees to, upon expiration of the lease, or otherwise, surrender premises broom clean with all bathrooms, stove, oven and refrigerator clean or in the alternative tenant(s) agrees to pay costs of cleaning. Tenant(s) further agrees that all personal
property abandoned by tenant(s) after seven (7) days following termination of lease may be disposed by landlord without liability.
25. RENEWAL PROVISION: Check here if applicable, or cross through RENEWAL PROVISION and initial by both Landlord and Tenant. . At the conclusion of the leased period herein specified, this lease shall convert to and continue as a month to month lease, if originally executed as such, unless either party provides 30 day written notice to the other of intention to terminate. If originally executed as other than a month to month lease, at the conclusion of the period herein specified, this lease shall convert to and continue as a month to month lease, unless either party provides seven (7) days written notice to the other of intention to terminate. Should such conversion and continuance occur,
either 30 day or seven (7) day written notice by either party to the other shall be required to terminate this lease.
26. INDEMNIFICATION: [Lessor refers to Landlord - LESSEE refers to Tenant(s) ] Lessor shall hold the LESSEE, and/or any or all the parties named on the Rental Application to indemnify and save harmless Lessor against and from any loss, costs, damages and expenses arising out of any accident to or injury to any person or property whomsoever, or from fines, penalties or judgments levied by government due to behavior, negligence or inadvertent acts by Lessee.
LESSEE hereby assumes all the obligations and responsibilities of Lessors within the description of premises under the terms of said leases and under the rules, regulation or laws of any government or regulatory agency having jurisdiction and agrees to protect, indemnify and hold Lessors, their agents, employees, heirs and assigns harmless from any and all losses, liabilities, fines, penalties, claims, costs and expenses imposed upon them with respect to the property herein conveyed whether such arose heretofore or whether such arise hereafter, due to the any act(s), omission, neglect or default of LESSEE or LESSEEʼS visitors, invitees, licensees, servants or employees, or any person or entity claiming by or through LESSEE or other such person(s) allowed to enter premises by LESSEE, of any such person or entity entering premises unknown to Lessee.
LESSEE will defend and save Lessor harmless and indemnified, to the maximum extent permitted by law, from and against any and all loss, cost or expense (including attorneysʼ fees), and any and all injury, loss, claim or damage to any person or property, on account of any act, condition or accident, however caused (except by any deliberate misconduct or gross negligence of Lessor), occurring or existing on or about
the Premises or any area allocated to or used exclusively by LESSEE or anyone claiming through or under LESSEE, or, if arising out of LESSEEʼS use or occupancy of the Premises, occurring or existing on or about the area appurtenant or adjacent to the Premises, or any other appurtenances, or parking or other common areas used in connection therewith, and from and against any and all other loss, cost, damage, expense, or liability arising from any act, omission, neglect or default of LESSEE or LESSEEʼS contractors, licensees, invitees, customers, agents, licensees, invitees, customers, agents, servants or
employees, or any person or entity claiming by or through LESSEE or the contractors, licensees, invitees, customers, agents, servants, or employees, of any such person or entity.
That the waiver of one breach of any term, condition, covenant, obligation or agreement of this lease shall not be considered to be a waiver of that or any other term, condition, covenant, obligation or agreement
or any subsequent breach thereof.
If any provision of this lease or portion of such provision or the application thereof to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the lease (or the remainder of such provision) and the application thereof to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby, and each and every provision, in whole or in part, of this lease shall be enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law.
27. FINAL AGREEMENT: The parties to this agreement acknowledge by affixing their signatures hereto that they have read and understand all provisions and conditions included in this agreement and that the agreement is full and complete and there are no other implied or verbal understandings other than those included in this agreement.
Tenant Address, email & phone number contact: